Bahamas is certainly not short of two things, unowned dogs and unowned cats. Here are some compelling reasons to adopt rather than buy an animal.
- Buying a pet can easily cost $500 to $1,000 or more. Adoption costs less than $50 and all pets are vaccinated and spayed/neutered depending on whether the pet comes from the city shelter or a rescue group that has spent money on boarding, vets and grooming.
- You’re getting more for your money if you get a mixed breed such as a Potcake or Potcat. They are likely to live longer and cost less in vet bills than a pure breed. Many purebred dogs are prone to developing health problems ranging from breathing difficulties to hip dysplasia to an enlarged heart
- When you adopt a pet, you are saving a life!
- If you adopt, you get your choice of any age. Though puppies and kittens are cute and cuddly, they can also be a handful. An adult or older pet may be a better fit for you. For example, adopting an adult dog who’s already house-trained and knows basic cues is often much easier than adopting a puppy, who must be taught these things.
- You get just as much love (if not more). An adopted pet is every bit as loving, intelligent and loyal as a purchased pet, even if you get an adult or older animal.
If you would like to adopt a dog or cat please contact the Bahamas Humane Society on 323-5138. You can check out their Facebook Page to view some of the animals available for adoption right now. Some of these animals were rescued by Baark!